This was a 3-hour project with some scrap maple to make a little chair for my 2-year-old daughter Georgia. The hard part was drilling the holes for the back at a slight angle. It was the first time I had tilted the table on my drill press. It was also interesting to attach the angled legs.

Click for more pictures and details.

Click for full construction pictures and details.

Here's a table I made out of solid maple. I didn't actually make the top, since it was my first experiment with mortise-and-tenon joinery, and I didn't yet have a jointer or any reasonable way to glue up the top. There are 16 3/8" mortise-and-tenon joints in the legs, and I made a little chamfer on the outside corner of each leg (barely visible in the photograph) as a finishing touch. It looks pretty nice in the kitchen, and happens to be the same height as the counters, by stroke of luck or design.

Here is a random assortment of other projects I've worked on, most of them not hardwood (nor particularly well made, but I get points for thrashing on them anyway, I figure)

A bathroom cabinet for Georgia's clothes, diapers. It lifts off the wall easily; it has a cleat on the back the hooks over a matching cleat rabbeted into the edge of a two-by-four that is screwed to the wall. It is more or less an overlapping, locking rabbet. I confess that I didn't make the doors: I bought pre-made doors, which I will not likely do again. They're expensive and not that hard to make. But the whole cabinet got made in one evening, which has some merit. It's great at holding diapers, in any case.

This is a changing stand for Georgia (I'm lifting up the pad to show the construction. It folds down (on hinges, just out of view on the left) from the end of the sink cabinet. The hinges have springs so it glides down gently after you swing the support leg flat against the wall (it's also on hinges). Totally unnecessary, as it turned out. I don't think we've lowered it even once. But the frame is made with lap joints (done with a dado blade, very fast). The frame against the wall, just out of sight, has one long side that acts as a leg. It is joined with mortise-and-tenons instead of lap joints, for better strength. It's all made out of scrap pine, but it's quite strong.

This is a CD cabinet I built into a corner. Not a great picture. The cabinet is roughly 18" square, and stands on one leg that straddles over a speaker below. There are also shelves, just under the lighted part, that hold the stereo itself. I recessed cabinet lights inside the cabinet and put in a switch. Also visible in the picture above is a long, narrow shelf, just within my reach, for about 18 linear feet of CD's.

Inside the CD cabinet itself is a revolving tower that has four symmetrical sides, as can be seen in the two photos below. It sits on a big lazy susan bearing raceway and turns easily. It holds quite a few CDs in easily-accessible space (designed for 288, 24 shelves @ 12 CDs each, but the shelves actually will hold 13 each, for a total of 312). I admit to having copied the idea from a cheap (stapled, pressboard) version I saw at Tower Records for $120. Mine's nicer, took way longer to make, but was quite a satisfying project because I had to do all the design myself, based on what I could remember of the one I saw at the record store.

Partially rotated:


  Cabinets / furniture / projects

Check out my Wood Shop

Click to see some of my Hard-Learned Lessons.

Back to Glenn's home page